In the driving technique segment this time we will discuss driving positions.
Although it sounds simple, driving position is important and vital for driving safety and comfort. Just like other basic things , driving position is indeed basic but it will have a big effect on driving performance. So if the basis is not correct, it will be difficult to develop into more stages.
Not only driving safety and comfort, driving position certainly affects the speed. With a good position, the maneuvers in driving will be more smooth , effective and also save energy (efficient).
In this review we will discuss the best driving position for safety and speed. Starting from the destination, the position of the hands, arms, legs, body, and other tips.
The purpose of the Best Driving Position
The best driving position will be able to produce the following benefits.
- Able to hold the steering wheel well even in extreme conditions such as when making sharp turns.
- Provide work efficiency on the body, so it is not easy to get tired or stiff.
- Provides maximum visibility.
- Preventing collisions such as knees with a steering wheel.
- Provides maximum control over the car.
Hand and Arm Position
We start from the position of the hands and arms. Imagine we get in our car, then sit down. After that, do the following.
- First, extend your arms and place your wrists on the steering wheel. If we have to move forward, our position is too far back. Forward the seat and adjust the back of the slope until we can place the wrist on the steering wheel. Ideally the arms should form an angle of about 90 °.
- Hands must be able to move freely around the steering wheel. Rearrange the position, so there is no collision between the arm and knee. If your elbows collide with the door, then you should consider changing the steering wheel to a smaller size.
- The position of the hands on the steering wheel is at 9 and 3. This is the best hand position to hold the steering wheel.
- If we have an adjustable steering wheel, then consider moving the steering wheel closer to us. This can increase control of the car, especially in extreme conditions such as when turning sharply.
After the hands and arms, we proceed to setting the feet. Easier leg settings than arms. Do the following.
- The main thing from the position of the foot is the foot must be able to press the pedal properly. Press the clutch pedal, brake and gas fully. If our feet are struggling to press fully, adjust the seat position again. The position of the foot when pressing full should not be straight, but still slightly bent.
- Make sure there is a distance of 2-3 fingers between the back of the knee and the edge of the seat.
- Re-check the movement of the hands around the steering wheel. Do not let your knees collide with your arm or steering wheel.
Back Position (Body Position)
- The back and shoulders should all stick to the backrest of the seat. Push your buttocks as close as possible to the seat back.
- When turning or other steering maneuvers, the position of the back and shoulders must remain attached to the seat backrest. If when we turn and our shoulders are not in contact with the seat backrest, move the seat back forward. This will make the driving process more stable.
- Back position when driving racing is usually more inclined to the front. This will add control of the car, focus and visibility of the driver. This is different from the daily where the back is more likely to a relaxed position .
- Keep the hips parallel to the knee.
- Low seat is the most ideal position for safety and speed. That is why racing seats like Recaro, Sparco, Bride are lower than factory default stock seats . As with flat cars , low seats make the driver closer to the center of gravity of the car. This makes the car more stable and safer from possible roll-over . Low position also makes the driver more integrated with the car, in the sense that the driver can feel the movement of the car ( body-roll ), load transfer , and also the balance of the car.
- However, in daily use the seat should not be too low because it can limit the view to the under-front area of the car. Moreover, many holes have holes, speed bumps, or cats that pass, hehe . That is the reason why manufacturers generally do not use low seats.
- When on the track, we also have to take into account the height of the seat with our heads which of course will use a helmet. Do not let our heads hit a lot with the car roof.
- When you have finished adjusting the seat height, make sure your feet are able to reach all pedals comfortably. Press down on the pedals to make sure.
Other Driving Position Tips
Here are some other positions related to driving position.
- If we use a harness type seat belt, when it is installed then we will be difficult to reach. Therefore, make sure we have set the rearview mirror and other gadgets. Also make sure our arms can still reach the switch buttons / panel on the dashboard of our car.
- The midpoint of the headrest must be higher than the driver’s ear. The headrest also functions as a head restraint in the event of an accident.
- In seat selection, the best is not always comfortable. A good seat must have a lightweight structure and rigid. The structure is then formed to be able to sustain human body posture properly. Avoid seats that are too soft or soft which makes the driver feel like sinking into the seat.